Saturday, March 28, 2009

Fave contemp writer


Just finished this book. Bragg is a natural-born storyteller. I first learned about him when he was a reporter for the NYTimes and covered the OK City bombing. I was a reporter for the Dallas Morning News, and when, after the series of stories he wrote was published and he spoke at a convention of journalists in Tulsa, I was there. The way he puts words together creates instant imagery in my mind. I later met him during a talk in Des Moines after he began writing books about his family. This latest read is about his dad but it's also about Bragg becoming a stepdad. I'm not one to typically laugh out loud reading books (aside from those written by David Sedaris), but this one had me laughing one minute and shedding tears the next. It's a really poignant memoir. Here's a link to an excerpt: NYT/Rick Bragg.

No comments:

Post a Comment