Saturday, November 14, 2009

Objectified

I've mentioned the pretty great art center within walking distance of my house before, and today was another example of its interesting features. I went with a friend to see Gary Hustwit's documentary, Objectified. Hustwit previously produced Helvetica (a documentary I've yet to see but want to) and a film about my favorite band, Wilco, which I did see and liked very much. Today's viewing was quite interesting: An examination about product design and the designers and engineers behind products we use every day. Lots to think about in terms of where design is headed (i.e. should design be only about function? personally, i hope not) and sustainability (definitely not an option but a requirement).
The other bonus about today was a chance to see J Morgan Puett's installation. I didn't recognize this clothing designer by name at first, but after a bit of time on Google, I discovered that I had read about her in a NYT profile story that ran about a year ago. Still, I didn't know about her collaborations to exhibit in museums and galleries. Some images from those exhibits next...

No comments:

Post a Comment